The Facts about Hair loss
by C. Markus
Hair is made up of proteins called keratins, and every hair follicle is present at birth – we do not gain more throughout life. Hair loss affects around 40 million men and 20 million women in America. We lose an average of 100 hairs per day; however, if you are losing more there could be a problem. The first step in treating your hair loss is finding the cause, which can include:
- Diet – having a lack of protein or iron in your diet has been shown to cause hair loss.
- Exercise – lack of adequate exercise can lead to health problems and ultimately hair loss.
- Side Effect of Medication– many medications list hair loss as a common side effect.
- Improper hair care – such as tight pony tails, excessive coloring or straightening.
- Stress – stress can cause hair loss; however, if the stress is reduced there is a good chance it will grow back.
- Trichotillomania – a mental illness which causes the subject to obsessively pull out their hair.
- Scalp Infections – infections such as ringworm can lead to temporary hair loss.
- Smoking Cigarettes – smoking can cause a lack of oxygen to reach the scalp, leading to a loss of hair.
- Genetic Factors – Genetic factors are the number one cause of hair loss.
Luckily many of these causes can be prevented. If you notice hair loss, it is recommended to see a doctor, as it could be a symptom of an underlying condition. If you start to gradually lose your hair and are male, there is a good chance it is male patterned baldness, also known as Androgenetic Alopecia. Androgenetic Alopecia is the most common cause of hair loss; in fact it is the cause of 95% of hair loss. This genetic factor cannot be reversed, but there are steps you can take to slow it down. With proper hair care, diet, exercise, and stress maintenance, hair loss can be greatly reduced. Hair loss can drastically lower self-esteem and confidence, but remember it is not the end of the world. Millions of people deal with it every day, you are not alone.
ReGrow Plus Promotes circulation to hair follicles and roots for healthy hair